I love scones more than any other breakfast treat/dessert. Every flavor, doesn't matter,
I will eat it!
The thing is, scones are not the best for staying fit, if you know what I mean. Most recipes call for loads of butter and sugar, which is probably why they are so darn good.
So I tried to come up with a simple, healthy version to go with any breakfast dish.
The flavor is light and not too sweet. Top with fruit spreads or jelly and enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
Directions: (Heat oven at 400 degrees)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients
- Stir in wet ingredients, mixing all until dough is formed (it will be sticky)
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
- Place dough on baking sheet and flatten with floured hands to desired thickness, making a circle
- Cut dough circle into 8ths
- Brush dough with melted butter and cinnamon mixtures using a pastry brush
- Sprinkle granola on top of cinnamon, pressing lightly
- Bake at 400 for 18 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Take out and let sit for 5 minutes.