When I started blogging 7 months ago, I had no idea what I was getting into. Really, I was so naive to the idea of what it takes to run a successful blog. I have had my challenges and frustrations over the months but have enjoyed this process thus far. And through reflection, I've come up with 6 things that I have discovered about blogging so far in my journey.
1. It's not just a hobby, it's a lifestyle... and not just in the "I'm a lifestyle blogger" kind of way. Once you start blogging, everything around you turns into a possible post. You go on a trip, there are posts. You become pregnant, have little kids, are a working mom, are a college student... there are so many posts in your future. If you cook for your family every night, there are even more posts. As long as you have a camera to document all these wonderful events in your life, your life becomes the blog, and it's pretty much always on your mind.
2. My friends are not the ones reading my blog, other bloggers are... and at first this really upset me. I mean, I started this blog for my friends and family to read. Only, they are definitely not the main source of my readers. Other bloggers are the ones who read blogs. Sure, there are a handful of people who find my blog through Pinterest or Stumble Upon, but for the most part, all the wonderful readers I get to my blog are other bloggers who I've met through groups, communities and other blogs. It doesn't bother me so much anymore as I kind of like it this way now.
3. I'm tired all the time... because all my free time is spent working on the blog and other blog related activities. From picture editing, writing or working on posts, creating recipes, crafting, working in blogging groups and communities, returning comments/emails, to instagramming and figuring out giveaways, there is always something that I can be working on. I get up before the kids and stay up long after they are in bed to work on all these tasks, just so I can find the time to do it all. And you know what? I love the feeling of completing these tasks at the end of each day, even if I'm tired.
4. I've never worked so hard for so little... and yeah, who would have thought? I seriously put in more hours each day blogging then I ever did at a job. I know I worked this hard in school but that was years ago and expected (because I was paying for it). But to put so much heart and soul into something on a daily basis and not see a consistent return is true passion people. I never thought I would become rich off my blog as it is just a place for me to share, crate and write creatively, but in order to get people to read your blog, you have to work hard at getting noticed. That takes up a lot of time (see #3) and feels like a full time job... without the pay or benefits.
5. The blogging community is huge and supportive... and it makes my heart so happy, when every morning I get to connect with all these wonderful people and see what has been put out in the blogospheres for me to read. I find that through blogging groups, tribes and communities, I have learned a great deal about blogging, found some amazing ideas and articles, and really learned what it is like to be a part of something so grand and fresh. It's very exciting to be a part of this blogging community.
6. Blogging can become obsessive... or maybe I've become obsessive about blogging. Yep, I'd say the latter. Based on numbers 1, 3 and 4, I'd say that I pretty much love to blog and think about it the majority of the day. My kids and husband will always come before all, and having a blog is for my benefit, my hobby. But dang, I do spend a lot of time
I'd love to hear if this sounds like you? Let me know in the comments or end me an email! Have a happy Friday and 4th of July!