Okay you guys, I have a super simple recipe that my kids and me have been eating all week. Who doesn't love the filling in apple pies and strudels, amiright?? Sometimes, I find myself picking apart my pies and only eating the filling. So I thought, what if I only made the filling so I could add it to other desserts, like ice cream, or eat it plain? I made my usual filling recipe with a couple modifications and my Apple Pie Bites were born. Once my one year old started asking for them and thinking they were fruit snacks, I knew I had something special... and kind of addicting.
What you need:
- 2 large apples
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 drops almond extract or 1/4 tsp vanilla extract *optional
What you'll do:
- Cut the apples into mini cubes and place into a mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon and extract, mixing until all the apple pieces are coated.
- Place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, tossing the apples every 10 minutes or so.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 20 minutes if eating alone, or add to ice cream or other desserts while still warm.